Engine problem?

Report and discuss any problems, bugs, Fixes or warranty issues here

Engine problem?

Postby Gaz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 am

Picked up my new Countryman Cooper S less than 2 weeks ago, first couple of days were fantastic, no problems at all, then one very cold morning, around -3 or -4c started the car and heard this very worrying sort of knocking/ticking noise from the engine. Actually sounded more like a diesel than a petrol car.

This went of for initially a few seconds, maybe up to 20 then dulled down a little but it was still very noisy. Just sounded very tappety or something, just not right in my limited experience.

Called the dealer, took the car in and tested it with a brand new Cooper S that a customer was coming to pick up, said it was exactly the same and that it was a normal characteristic of that car and it was working within normal parameters! I am very concerned about this after reading and watching several videos on the Cooper S R56 cold start problem which sounds very similar if not exactly the same to mine! A problem which the service department at my dealer totally denied btw!

I'm just wondering has anyone else had this issue? I'm yet to hear a different Cooper S starting from cold to see if it makes the same noise!

The dealer has told me that the car is 100% but I'm dubious to say the least!

Anyone any opinions on this?
Gaz

Re: Engine problem?

Postby Barney » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Maybe tappets with the cold weather the oils to thick?
I would take it to another dealer, the other point to make is did they have it from stone cold first thing in the morning and was it left out at night or parked in the workshop!
Barney

Postby Gaz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks for the reply!

They had it overnight but I believe the car was outside although it was about 6c the next morning!

I'm seriously concerned about it! It does sound tappety and tonight there is more strange noises! My wife even complained about it earlier that it sounded strange and she knows as much about cars as I know about knitting!

Still to hear another starting from cold but if it does go wrong they will have to replace the engine anyway or I will reject the car!
Gaz

Postby Barney » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:44 pm

GAz take it else where if needs be! if you think its not right then keep going in. I would not bother however ringing MINI UK as they are awful!
Barney

Postby gratuitous » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 pm

I just picked up my Countryman last week, and it makes the same racket at start-up. I've heard two explanations: vacuum pump or high pressure fuel injectors. I've never heard anything like it, but it is said to be normal for that engine. It's gone after the engine warms a little, and I have a 4 year warranty they are wrong, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Cheers
gratuitous

Postby Tracey Hobbs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:03 pm

My All4D Countryman was a surprise Christmas/40th birthday present and received it 7 Jan 2011 - my husband was promised delivery well in time for Xmas eve but as you are all aware there were huge delays on them. Anyway I was of course delighted when I received it! Unfortunately 4 weeks after receiving it my handbrake went limp and just went loose and stopped working at all! Took it straight back and after investigations the dealer said there was a part that had been missing from the beginning. 7 months down the line and it has been back at the dealers for over a week with ticking/rattling noises coming from the engine. After various checks they have now informed me today that they have had to order a new engine as under warranty they cannot replace parts and they said its unsafe to drive as it is!!!! I am so sad that this has happened you do not expect these problems with a brand new car. I absolutely love it too, very economical, nippy, very spacious and comfortable :) if any of you have the same problems take it in immediately
Tracey Hobbs

Return to Problems, Bugs & Fixes