All4 gear makes loud noise (hammers)

Report and discuss any problems, bugs, Fixes or warranty issues here

All4 gear makes loud noise (hammers)

Postby Gomezfmario » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:50 pm

My brand new Countryman All4 is only 2 days old and has 180 km in the odometer. Yesterday I took it to the emissions control shop (where they put it on rollers and check emissions at different RPMs) and of course it passed. When they gave the car back to me, many warnings had triggered on the Mini Connect system, such as low tire pressure, airbags, 4x4, ABS brakes,... After I drove it for around 200 meters all the warnings turned off and everything was normal again. 15 minutes later, when I was parking a loud sound came out from underneath the back of the car as if someone was hitting it with a hammer. It is like if the teeth in the four wheel drive gear are not engageing correctly. That keeps on happening every time a make a sharp turn at low speed. Can anyone help with this issue?
Gomezfmario

Re: All4 gear makes loud noise (hammers)

Postby Dlanod » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:12 am

I have the same noise - like a tin can being hit. I've seen on other forums that this is typical of the All4.
Dlanod

Re: All4 gear makes loud noise (hammers)

Postby all4owner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 am

Hi

I don't think this is "typical" My wife and I have been running a cooper s all4 since the start of the year and had no noises other than engine and exhaust since it was delivered.

I have seen comments about this on other forums but never seen a decent suggestion as to the cause.

I think you need to take it up with your Mini service department.
Cars
Mine -- Subaru Impreza STI - WRC Blue
Wife's -- Countryman Cooper S All4 - True Blue/ Chilli Pack/Black Roof/Sun Protection Glass
all4owner

Return to Problems, Bugs & Fixes